If you have missed any latest news out of Belize, here is your update!
- Out of the UK – really complimentary review (Beguiling Belize!) of a luxury trip here in many stops in he country – and there is talk of there being a brand new direct flight from London, which would be huge for tourism.
- Belize has gotten serious about its eco-friendliness this year – some plastics are banned starting this month, and here is an article about the efforts to maintain the integrity of the fishing through conservation.
- Here is an amazing article about what was found at the first excursion to the bottom of the Blue Hole, one of the greatest draws in Belize.
- Hello magazine got a ton of attention with this article reviewing the mass amount of things to do in Belize, why “Beautiful Belize” should be on the top of everyone’s travel list for 2020.
- Conde Nast has always been a go-to resource for seasoned travelers. They kind of went nuts for Belize this year! This article covers the “Seven Wonders” of the World for 2020 – and Belize is one of them!!
- Bill Gates made news this year by buying an island in Belize, and since he can basically buy anything he wants, anywhere in the world, this was a pretty serious high mark for Belize.
- Here is another plug for Belize by Conde Nast – this article covers their top 12 places to go where it “Never Gets Cold”……once again Belize was tops!
- In one more plug for Belize, Conde Nast focuses on the Mayan ruins of Caracol, which recently went through some changes to make it easier to get to, and they name it as one of the “7 Wonders of the World!”
And in local news/changes – (all pics from the Facebook page of the business featured)
Muna recently opened on the top of the Ellysian – and it is a truly upscale, remarkable dining experience with sweeping views of town (IN TOWN!) – an additional upscale restaurant was sorely needed! Unfortunately Tranquilo has closed back down for now so keep that in mind when you come down. However the Placencia Beach Club has been a huge hit and it a true must-do for an afternoon in Placencia. Note that Rick’s Cafe is now open in its new location – and also note – Tutti Frutti has moved from its old location next to Cha Chis, and is now underneath Rick’s cafe, a little closer to the middle of the village on main street. Don’t forget to get a drink at sunset at the top of Miramar right in the village at Skyfall Terrace – gorgeous sweeping views of the village beach! A great new addition in Maya Beach has been Placencia Mini Golf – this has been a huge hit and much needed.
In Ambergris Cay…
Recently opened are the great new bar Rum Dog, over the water fun about a mile north of the bridge. The same group changed the old La Feliz bar to the Dog House Sports Lounge, at Tres Cocos Resort. They have a fundraiser every Tuesday for SAGA which is such a great community service. There is a great new yogurt shop (with the island’s only sugar-free yogurt!) at Yogobean. K’s diner changed hands and is now Island Wonder, and the new owner is bringing a lot of passion to the new project – great place to watch the planes land by Tropic Air. Palapa Bar and Grill is now hosting the famous Jerry Jeff Walker at their famous bar. And look at Crazy Canucks in the near future as their little southern corner of town turns into a “Colonial British” style paradise with the Marriot project, and the famous bar will be moving to a brand new over the water bar. Secret Beach area continues to expand with a brand new bar – maybe several new if you haven’t been there in a while – check out Salty Anchor Marina Bar.